Legend of Korra: Conclusion

This is my reaction after finish Book Four from the Legend of Korra.


I didn't complete the series when the last episode was aired, so I had to avoid spoilers and scrolled past many posts about the show. Finally, I got myself to continue the series.

Major spoiler for those who haven't watch the show. My advice is don't watch it.

For the fourth book, Korra had to recover after the fight with the Red Lotus and Kuvira wanted to take over the Earth empire and eventually the Republic City. All of that in just 13 episodes.

Everything was so rushed and it was like wow, Korra finally got over her stubbornness and healed with the help of Toph and woah, time to defeat Kuvira and yay, they did it with the help of everyone (I don't know what's Team Avatar anymore) and everything ended so abruptly with Korra venturing to the spirit world with Asami. I just found out that it was confirmed, a romantic relationship between them. (WHAAAT?)
 
They ruined the series with both Book 1 and and Book 2, but Legend of Korra finally caught up with the quality they previously produced in the first series. With good storyline, enough character development and not the mention awesome fighting choreography. Seriously, it was so enjoyable with Book 3.


But then, I was so let down at the fourth book. Everything happened so fast, so much things left unexplained and they ended like meh, here you go a happy and weird ending.

When Kuvira harvested the spirit vines, the spirit world went crazy and begun abducting people. The spirit creatures refused to work with Korra and when after everything was solved, nothing was mentioned about the spirit world. It's probably common sense to know that peace was returned but I'm just really not satisfied with how they wrapped it up.

During the last big fight, everyone was fighting that giant mecha machine, I watched the whole battle neutrally. Unfortunately, Asami's father sacrificed during battle and uhm, it was totally predictable for me. I thought it was really weird because the part where I felt tensed and worried wasn't when Asami's father died, neither was Korra v.s. Kuvira at the spirit world, but when Mako was facing a possibility of dying trying to destroy the canon.


I thought he was really going to die but ah, he survived and brotherly love was shown between Mako and Bolin. I don't know if it the show emphasized too strongly (and wrongly) in Mako's scene or it was just me.

Through out the whole series, we were given a roller coaster ride in terms of the relationships. One moment Bolin likes Korra, then Korra likes Mako, then Mako likes Asami and then Mako likes Korra again and they broke up again and just, what the hell. Is this a romantic cartoon? And in the end, Korra ends up with Asami! Heck, we were even given information that Tenzin was once interested in Lin. Bolin is probably the only normal one.

Some people said that it was Korrasami was hinted thorough the series but at that point I'm too tired to care who ends up with who. I didn't like Korra, I lost interested in Mako even though firebenders are totally my type, I didn't care about Bolin and I felt like Asami was a victim in this love triangle or square or octagon.

I have nothing against same sex relationships but why did they have to make it so complicated. The community wouldn't complain so much if they actually made it less complicated and more obvious. I'm definitely disappointed that Korra ended with Asami not because of the lesbian relationship but because it was just BAM, KORRASAMI!

Some people also said that homophobia probably doesn't exist in the Avatar world but it's just my opinion that they could handle the relationships between the characters better.


 *cough*

Well, not all is bad. There are some good things in the second series.

We finally got to know new bending techniques like lavabending and the fact that Zaheer can actually friggin fly. I read a theory somewhere a fan made on why Bolin wasn't able to bend metal but he is able to kickass with lavabending. The fan said it was probably Bolin had a father from Earth kingdom and a mother from the Fire nation. Well, it's just a theory, but I think it's quite legit as lavabending is really rare. Just like interracial marriage in the Avatar world.


Ahh, mecha. I was kinda excited when they introduced mecha into the series. We all know Avatar is heavily influenced by Japanese anime but who knew that they will include mecha! According to the Wiki, the creators of the show got their inspirations from the works of Jules Verne and the design was based on late 19th and early 20th century diving suits, but the mecha tanks in Avatar reminded me of the ones in Sakura Wars.

OLD SCHOOL ANIME YEEEEEEAA. (Sakura Wars)

Everyone is dying to know what happened to the first Team Avatar after the series ended. We were informed of how Zuko and Aang formed idea of  Republic City and how Toph created a metal bending school in the comics but other than that, nothing much. Finally, we know the status of the characters from the first show in TLOK.

Obviously, Aang had to die in order for Korra to appear. But I'm glad that most members of the first Team Avatar are still alive. I fangirl-ed so hard when Lord Zuko appeared with his dragon even though he's now a super old man. Once again Sokka is left out among the benders but I wonder why everyone was separated in the end. They're probably bored of each other after being together for so long.

FOR HONORRRRR.

Well, I'm disappointed in the series overall but it was better nothing, I guess. I don't have favourite character in TLOK and the only memorable thing I got from the show was the final fight between Korra and Zaheer and how Korra sucks as an Avatar. I'm sorry, but it's just how it is.

I don't know if they're going to come up with another series or something for the fans. If they aren't gonna live up to the first series, I think the creators should just leave Avatar as it is.

Now, I really feel like rewatching the Legend of Aang. Or maybe, just Zuko's part. *giggles and runs away*

---

I realized that I posted weeks after 2015 started but yeah, Happy New Year. You know, screw that wish, it's too late.

May Joon update more posts this year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts about HTTYD: The Hidden World

The Handsome Side Of Biology.

Ballet Grade 6