Islamic Art & IKEA Meatballs.

Been about three weeks since my semester started. Things will only get busier from now on. And it doesn't help as I get lazier and lazier.

---


One thing about my class is that we can never organize outings. Most of the time, there will be no full attendance (12 people in total) and as the date arrives most will bail out and in the end the whole thing gets cancelled.

I admit, I don't show much enthusiasm when my friends invite me out and I'm guilty of it.

But one sure way of getting most of us out is having outings organized by our lecturers, LOLLLL. I know, we're such an non-independent, indecisive bunch of kids. But that's just how we roll.

For one of our subjects, initially we were planning to go to the National Science Center of Malaysia. I was excited to go there even though I went there as a kid. Partly because I can't really remember what I did there and science is just that fun.

But as we were having lunch, one of our friends who got there first gave us the news that the science center was still under construction. We informed our lecturer and so our location is changed to the Islamic Art Museum.


I certainly did not know what to expect as I'm not a Muslim nor I can understand the Arab language (correct me if I'm wrong), but I can say that I had a wonderful time looking at artifacts and art.

I would like to just insert here saying that I'm a non-religious person and I don't have not much knowledge of any religion and I don't know how religion really works and how a certain religion affects people's lives so if I said anything wrong, please forgive me.

Everything displayed there are related to Islam, including manuscripts, clothing, plates, weapons, vases, architecture and basically everything in daily life that are from all around the world. Almost everything had the Jawi writing on them. It's incredible how the Muslims are so into the Islamic religion that they implemented the religion on almost every surface they can find.

 The tiniest Al-Quran in the museum (not the world's) requires a friggin magnifying glass to read.

Even though I don't understand the language, the calligraphy of the Jawi alphabets are really beautiful. People back then have really great handwriting and so much patience. Most of the Al-Qurans displayed there have gold inside them and the effort they took to decorate each pages with patterns and lines is just simply amazing.

We got to see other things like clothing, weapons and art etc. and they're just as equally amazing. My feet hurt from walking but still I wanted to see and read everything in the museum.


My lecturer who is a Muslim and is knowledgeable in this area (and in almost everything that it's intimidating) taught us some history and information of the Islam religion and I had a great time listening. We discussed a bit about faith as well but as much as I think how religion can be interesting how it guides people in their lives, I just can't accept any religion in my life for now.

I mean it's really cool, 'cause you can clearly see it's impact in our culture and people's lives. How art can be created through the influence of religion and things like that.

We got to see everything and I think it's really worth it. We bid our lecturer goodbye but not before discussing where we'll be going for next trip, which is most likely KL's bird park because we love animals and shit.


The rest of us then decides to head to IKEA for dinner and I was again excited because I can finally try the meat balls there.

Yes, I never really tried IKEA's Swedish meatballs because I just don't go to IKEA often. The first time I had a taste of the meatballs was at the second semester of my degree when they sold it at my campus. I took only a bite from my friend's portion and it tasted so delicious. But when I got out of class to get them myself, it was sold out.

Before we had our dinner we just hanged out at the showrooms looking at the amazing interior design, took some pictures and just had fun chatting.

Finally, we got to the food court and ordered our meals. I got to taste the meatballs and they're exactly how I remembered when I first had them. Delicious. I was so happy because other food tasted great as well.

 I normally don't take pictures of food but looking at this just makes me so happy. (That pasta in a kid's plate is mine)

I had a really great time that day. I learned new things and appreciated a different kind of art and I finally got to eat the famous Swedish meatballs. While I was eating I kept saying I'm so happy, and it's the truth.

It's also wonderful to spend time with my friends in a different environment. 

Extra information: It was a full moon that night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts about HTTYD: The Hidden World

The Handsome Side Of Biology.

Ballet Grade 6