Thoughts about Korea Trip - Part 3.


Traveling to Korea was a difference experience to me because while I listened to some K-Pop and watched some variety shows, I'm not entirely familiar with their culture. I can't read or speak their language, and I was never really a fan of their cuisine.

I really like Japan's culture, but I never had the same passion for Korea. An ignorant person would probably think they're similar, but they're worlds apart. And that difference is what scares me. I'm not prepared for Korea, their culture, or their people.

After visiting Korea, I learned to appreciate the country a little more.

I decided to write this third part because I have a lot of thoughts about the country that I didn't think were suitable for my post about my trip. Some of these are just common information, but there's just so much I want to say.

---

A WOMAN'S STATUS
There's no doubt that it's a man's world in Korea, and women aren't really treated equally there.

According to our tour guide, it's just unacceptable for him to hold his wife's handbag. Women are expected to stay at home and cook dinner. Women are expected to serve their husbands.

I just can't get my head around that.

It's not that women are horribly oppressed, but they just have a lower status than the men. Perhaps things aren't really bad like how I imagine it to be, but based on my tour guide's explanation, it seems like women don't have much say.


FASHION
The Koreans care about how they look, A LOT. I'm not even exaggerating.

All the females wear make up, and they're all dressed up nicely. The men are the same. Maybe not that serious in make up, but they equally care how they look and will present themselves nicely.

I believe the Koreans dress according to trends. Unlike the Japanese where you can see different styles everywhere, the Koreans tend to look the same.

Dull colour tones. Baggy and comfortable clothes. The men all have the same haircut. The middle-aged aunties all have the same haircut. My gosh, even all the girls pose the same way for the pictures.

When I was in Korea, I think I stood out like a sore thumb. I had a boyish hair cut, which is super rare for a female in Korea. I don't wear make up. I wore bright colours, which made me stand out immediately in a sea of brown, white, black or navy blue. Heck, the tour guide even joked that I was a guy.

It's great that their people always want to look presentable, but I don't think I can keep up with expectations like that.

And gosh, so many couples wearing matching clothes.

FOOD
I can't handle spicy well so I can't really enjoy Korean food. Even with the non-spicy meals, I never really liked Korean food. I don't mind barbecued meat, though.

On this trip, I discovered my love for their bean paste. I appreciate kimchi more now, as long as they're not too spicy.

I'm surprised that the food there are kinda plain, compared to Malaysian food. The taste of the food aren't as heavy.

WEATHER
The autumn weather is great. I'm not a fan of cold, but even I enjoyed the weather there. We're lucky that we experience no rain while we're there. The wind wasn't harsh on your skin either.

It was around 10-15°C when I was there, and the coldest I've experience was probably 7°C. Seoul was colder than Busan and Jeju.

I kinda miss the cold.


TOUR GUIDE AHBAO
Our tour guide definitely made an impression by appearing in a business suit when he picked us up from the airport. I've never seen tour guides dressed up so nicely.

After getting everyone on the bus, he introduced himself as Ah Bao. That's not his real name, nor was it his nickname. I don't even know his Korean surname. I believe he just gave the name for himself for everyone's convenience as almost all of us understands Chinese. He doesn't speak English.

AhBao is genuinely an excellent tour guide. There's no doubt that he's the best tour guide I ever had in my life (but I rarely went on tours anyway). Not only is he knowledgeable in history, but he also made me interested in Korean history and culture as well. But that's not his strongest point; he's really good at controlling the crowd, even if it means showering us with gifts and directing us with sweet words.

When you bring a bunch of people who never been to a new environment, it can be hard to guide them around. People are easily curious when they see new things and are tourists just love to take pictures of EVERYTHING. Then there are people who are never punctual or just gets lost in their own world. Probably like herding a group of sheep, with smartphones.

But AhBao tackles this problem with ease. He would promise us rewards if we cooperate with him. That means paying attention during his history lessons (and not look out of the windows, I'm serious), not stopping and take pictures when he's leading, and being punctual.

It might seem like he's a demanding person and a total control freak, but he keeps his words and buys us food and gifts. Now that he won our hearts, we're more willing to obey him. He's manipulative, but it's not like we're losing anything. 

A great example of his trick (my opinion) is to buy us egg tards before having dinner at a famous international buffet (to make us full, I suspect). Then before we enter the restaurant, he says he and the bus driver have to go through an hour journey back home after dropping us at the hotel. 

Oh, such a pitiful situation! We must eat quickly so our dear tour guide and the bus driver can meet their wives! That's what happened, even though my mom and I wanted to enjoy the buffet a little longer.

My mom doesn't feel this way, but I personally think he is an intimidating man. When he isn't in tour-guide-mode or holding a microphone, it's like he takes off the friendly mask and is a different person. Maybe because he's older than me, or perhaps I don't understand the minds of Koreans, speaking to him is nerve-wracking. I also noticed he doesn't humor useless statements. He only answers questions related to the tour or things that he's interested.

That said, I don't believe he's a terrible person. If we're strictly talking about tour guide duty, I will rate him 10/10. Besides, his job is to be a tour guide and a tour guide only. He's just doing what he can to make everything a smooth experience for all of us.


TOUR
After I came back to Malaysia, when people asked me how was my trip, I said it was okay. Because it's just okay. Averagely average.

Did I see lots of great scenery? Not really. Did I enjoy their food? Yeah, but it's not mind-blowingly good or anything. Will I go back soon? Nah.

It should be obvious, but joining tours don't give you a lot of time when visiting a location. You have the pressure to gather at a certain and you have to rush anywhere. You don't get a lot of freedom either.

Then, they'll bring you to tourist shops to milk your money. If you're easily swayed by the sales people, welp.

This trip reminded me why I liked traveling without a tour. And I shouldn't travel with a bunch of middle-aged people.

---

Read Part 1.

Read Part 2.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts about HTTYD: The Hidden World

The Handsome Side Of Biology.

Ballet Grade 6